6852Re: [TalkAntietam] Henry Kyd Douglas

  • Larry Freiheit
    Jun 28, 2012
      I cite Dennis and others in my cav book in chap. 6, p.193, re Douglas's veracity. I have several pages on that fight in Boonsboro.

      From: Thomas G. Clemens <tgclemens@...>
      To: "TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com" <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:16 PM
      Subject: RE: [TalkAntietam] Henry Kyd Douglas

      Yes, Dennis Frye wrote an article several years ago about the incident where Douglas claimed he saved Jackson from capture outside of Boonsboro, Sept. 10, 1862.  It was printed in the magazine of the Civil War society, and I have a copy of it around here somewhere.  He didn't make stuff up whole-cloth, but often embellished tales to make himself more important.  Dennis had quotes from Hotchkiss and other staff officers that basically had the tone of "the kid is at it again."
      He is one of those people I'd like to buy at my price and sell at his.