6810RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: A/SM visit help

    May 31, 2012
      You might want to invest the time in Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood... GREAT overview of the strategy employed by Lee etc.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of eighth_conn_inf
      Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:08 PM
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: A/SM visit help

      Chris

      Some of what you might see would depend upon how much reading you have done about the 1862 Maryland Campaign and any special places you wish to visit. You may wish to pick up John Hoptak's recent books about Antietam and South Mountain for a good overview. You could also use Google Earth which may have some street views so you could "drive" some of the roads in the area. As Stephen already mentioned, Ethan Rafuse's tour book would also help. For me, having an experienced guide pointing out salient points on the ground is critical--perhaps the first day from Leesburg to South Mountain through Frederick then the second day west of South Mountain.