6808Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: A/SM visit help

  • Audrey Scanlan-Teller
    May 31, 2012
      Dear Chris,

      Keep in mind the South Mountain gaps are spread out and you want to
      allow time just to travel between them. You can even hike the
      Appalachian trail between the gaps to have the perspective of the
      Confederate movements along the ridge road (I'd recommend a hike between
      Turners and Fox's Gap if you are a hiker -- it takes about 45 minutes
      each way). You can park near the AT at the Mountain House (now the South
      Mountain Inn) and walk south to Fox's Gap and then reverse course. I've
      never walked from Fox's Gap to Crampton's Gap but I know hikers who have
      -- that would take the better part of a day in itself.

      If you want, I can send you a South Mountain Battlefield driving tour
      map that the Central Maryland Heritage League published several years ago.

      Send me a message to my e-mail with your mailing address and I'll get it
      off to you.

      Audrey Scanlan-Teller

      On 5/31/2012 9:46 AM, Stephen Recker wrote:

      > Chris,
      >
      > The South Mountain Battlefields are mostly on public land and can
      > easily be toured before lunch. Ethan Rafuse has a great new guide book
      > that will help you navigate the roads in the area. You could then even
      > do Harpers Ferry in the afternoon.
      >
      > One way to do it might be to get a guide and tour Antietam on the
      > morning of your first day. They will give you a great overview of the
      > campaign at the start of your tour. You could be done by lunch on your
      > first day. Then with an understanding of Antietam and the whole
      > campaign, your own personal tramping will be more meaningful. My guess
      > is that you would appreciate South Mountain more after a tour of Antietam.
      >
      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "certainreasons"
      > <certainreasons@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello All, I plan to visit Antietam and South Mountain - first time
      > - and have a few questions. Will one day dedicated to South Mountain
      > and one day dedicated to Antietam allow for a fairly comprehensive
      > survey? I understand most of the areas where the South Mountain action
      > took place is private property; is it possible to gain a sense of the
      > battle - to "follow" the course of action, with limited access to the
      > spread out locations and difficult terrain? Advice, questions,
      > whatever welcomed.
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance,
      > >
      > > Chris

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic