6807Re: A/SM visit help

    May 31 6:46 AM
      Chris,

      The South Mountain Battlefields are mostly on public land and can easily be toured before lunch. Ethan Rafuse has a great new guide book that will help you navigate the roads in the area. You could then even do Harpers Ferry in the afternoon.

      One way to do it might be to get a guide and tour Antietam on the morning of your first day. They will give you a great overview of the campaign at the start of your tour. You could be done by lunch on your first day. Then with an understanding of Antietam and the whole campaign, your own personal tramping will be more meaningful. My guess is that you would appreciate South Mountain more after a tour of Antietam.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "certainreasons" <certainreasons@...> wrote:

      > Hello All, I plan to visit Antietam and South Mountain - first time - and have a few questions. Will one day dedicated to South Mountain and one day dedicated to Antietam allow for a fairly comprehensive survey? I understand most of the areas where the South Mountain action took place is private property; is it possible to gain a sense of the battle - to "follow" the course of action, with limited access to the spread out locations and difficult terrain? Advice, questions, whatever welcomed.
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Chris

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic