6630Did Governor Curtin assist wounded on the Antietam battlefield?

  • cowie_steve
    Aug 7, 2011
      Hello, Forum.

      I came across an article written in 1893 about a wounded soldier from the 28th Ohio who was allegedly assisted by Governor Curtin near the Antietam battlefield.

      The Ohio soldier allegedly met Curtin after the war and told the governor, "Shortly after the battle of Antietam you were upon that bloody field...[and] revived the hopes of a dying soldier of the Twenty-eighth Ohio. He was badly wounded in the arm; you lifted him into an ambulance, and, the blood dripping from him, stained your hands and your clothing..." This account was published in the Elmira (NY) Telegram on Sunday May 21, 1893.

      It is known that Curtin traveled to Hagerstown immediately after the battle to deal with his state militia (who refused to obey McClellan's marching orders to Sharpsburg). Gen. Reynolds, in Hagerstown on 9/19, wrote to Halleck, "...much to my surprise, all the [PA] regiments refused to march...The Governor is here. I apprised General McClellan of these circumstances to-day by letter. The Governor will take them to the field, if it is necessary, to-morrow."

      I've been unable to find anything that confirms Governor Curtin traveled south of Hagerstown; his state militia regiments were sent home by McClellan on 9/21.