      From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com [TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com] on behalf of Stephen [jeffcowvplanning@...]
      Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 10:28 AM
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Passing Hat for Important Museum Artifact

      Antietam folks..

      This is a little off topic, but in the same ballpark (Washington County Military History).

      I have located the uniform of Captain George L. Fisher, commander of Company B, 1st Maryland Infantry, Spanish-American War. Consists of the M1895 blue tunic and sky blue trousers with white stripe. Company B was the Hagerstown company of the Maryland National Guard. The 1st Maryland was mobilized for the war, but was not sent overseas and did not see combat.

      The owner wants $759 for it...I can't swing that by myself. This is an important Washington County military heritage artifact. It belongs in the Washington County Historical Society. I have emailed the owner asking if they'd accept less knowing it would go to a museum in the owner's hometown, but I haven't heard back yet. And actually, $759 isn't a bad price for these artifacts.

      I started passing the hat among friends yesterday, and already have commitments for $250. Would like to find 10 more $50 donations to seal the deal (or fewer if the owner drops the price). Any contribution, however is happily accepted. Since it will be going to the WCHS, your donation toward the effort will be tax deductible.

      If there is anyone here who would like to pitch in, please let me know. Thanks.

      Steve Bockmiller