6600Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Otto House and farm.

  • Dave
    Jul 5, 2011
      Gerry, my wife is obsessed with the Clipp house. We walked the area
      thoroughly in May, took a bunch of measurements and the like. She is
      convinced that the house in the only existing picture was the "second
      house", and that the wartime house with the "tall chimney" was pulled
      down post-battle. We have a map showing outbuildings and a fence.
      There was an orchard there. We've seen in other places that a second
      house on a property is actually an earlier house for the owners, which
      in many cases was substantial but not in keeping with their larger
      family or prosperity. She hopes to find more on the family and maybe
      find some descendents who have oral history or pictures in the attic
      (unlikely in pre-war times). But, the failure of most regimental
      histories to mention the house, along with other evidence, seems to be
      against her. Someday, she may be a female guide for the farms in the
      area, maybe we could tag team, who knows?

      But if it gets me on the field, I'm good.

      Dave
      (Sorry, I know better than to not Clipp my posts!)