6508Re: [TalkAntietam] Relic from Hagerstown GAR post

  • Ian Workman
    Jan 17, 2011
      I would be very weary about buying anything with the GAR tags. They are
      heavily faked and someone local has the emossing tool. All of these items
      are thought to be bad by local collectors as none of them can actually be
      traced to any substantial source.

      The canteen which you spoke of was probably faked. I had a friend email me
      about the canteen when it was up for sale. The leather strap wasn't right
      and he and I both agreed that that piece was a put together. The strap on
      the canteen was actually from a model 1909 canteen and it was undone and run
      through the strap.

      There are also marked swords floating around out there. I was threatened
      with a lawsuit for condeming the first sword when a week later an exact
      other one showed up on ebay. Because there are so many duplicates and Indian
      War items marked as Reno post items I do not mess with any of them as they
      have obviously been tampered with. There was even an armstrong shell listed
      as having come through the Reno Post. These shells weren't even in use at
      the time so I am not sure what that shell would have been doing there unless
      it was an O.T. import piece.

      It is perfectly legal to sell any GAR piece unless it is from a gravesite
      (i.e. marker). You would be hard pressed to find any information about
      whether the item was properly deaccesioned or stolen property. Most halls
      did sell everything when they weren't being used anymore and that is why the
      market is full of items from GAR halls.

      Ian Workman
      Packhorse Ford Relics