      From: Matt Reardon
      Sent: Monday, January 17, 2011 4:31 PM
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Relic from Hagerstown GAR post

      Steve,

      According to Federal law when a GAR Post disbanded, all their items including
      relics, post records were supposed to be sent to the department headquarters.
      When the GAR disbanded all their property became property of the Sons of Union
      Veterans, the GAR's legal heir. It's actually illegal for any town or person to
      sell GAR property. If anyone see anyone trying to sell these items, you contact
      the Sons of Union Veterans.

      Matt Reardon
      Department Historian
      Department of Connecticut