6504Relic from Hagerstown GAR post

  • Stephen
    Jan 17, 2011
      Does anyone know any dealers out there with some inventory of artifacts from the Hagerstown GAR post? I see stuff occasionally on Ebay and other locations, and the dealers tend to be local.

      Apparently, when the GAR post closed, the majority of the relics that decorated their hall were purchased for a private museum in Sharpsburg, and the collection was broken up within the last 30 years or so.

      This is all scuttlebutt, so forgive me if there are factual errors in the above description, but it generally represents the trail of the collection.

      I would be interested in purchasing an item or two (I work in the building which is on the location of the GAR hall site), if they can be had for reasonable prices. I missed a canteen on ebay last month from the 4th US Cavalry that was part of the collection. It didn't sell and the owner sold it privately. Rats.

      Anyway...any guidance would be appreciated.

      Thanks.
      Steve Bockmiller
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic