6469Re: Trivia Question

    Nov 27, 2010
      I wonder if Wilson at Selma v. Forrest was urban? Info:

      Major General James H. Wilson, commanding three divisions of Union cavalry, about 13,500 men, led his men south from Gravelly Springs, Alabama, on March 22, 1865. Opposed by Confederate Lieutenant General Nathan B. Forrest, Wilson skillfully continued his march and eventually defeated him in a running battle at Ebenezer Church, on April 1. Continuing towards Selma, Wilson split his command into three columns. Although Selma was well-defended, the Union columns broke through the defenses at separate points forcing the Confederates to surrender the city, although many of the officers and men, including Forrest and Lieutenant General Richard Taylor, escaped. Selma demonstrated that even Forrest, whom some had considered invincible, could not stop the unrelenting Union movements deep into the Southern Heartland.

      Result(s): Union victory

      Location: Dallas County

      Campaign: Wilson's Raid in Alabama and Georgia (1865)

      Date(s): April 2, 1865

      Principal Commanders: Major General James H. Wilson [US]; Lieutenant General Nathan B. Forrest [CS]

      Forces Engaged: Two cavalry divisions [US]; troops in city (approx. 5,000 men) [CS]

      Estimated Casualties: 3,019 total (US 319; CS 2,700)

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks.
      >
      > A little off topic, but I would like to pick the collective knowledge base of the group.
      >
      > I would like to describe the 7/6/63 Battle of Hagerstown as the largest urban cavalry battle of the War.
      >
      > Can anyone off the top of their head think of a larger urban cavalry battle? There were larger urban battles (Fredericksburg comes to mind) and larger cavalry battles (Brandy Station, Trevillians, Hanover, etc.) but I cannot think of one larger than Hagerstown that was in an urban setting.
      >
      > Thoughts, please?
      > Thanks.
      > Steve Bockmiller

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic