6434Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Information on Firearms Used by Regiments at Antietam

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Oct 28, 2010
      I have the Quarterly Ordnance returns on microfilm, and even though they
      start with the 4th Quarter 1862 (on hand December 62) they might be helpful
      in detailing Federal arms.

      Send me a list of the regiments sorted by number and state and I could
      check them.

      Dave

      In a message dated 10/28/2010 11:45:54 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      bdowney@... writes:

      Hi Tom, Jim,

      I've tried to collect some of the data about small arms by regiment on
      AotW as I've found it. It's been very hit or miss. I share your regret that
      there is no clean, single source. I see material in Regimentals,
      correspondence, state Histories and the like from time to time. Joe Bilby helped me
      with info about the 4th New Jersey Infantry, for example, here:
      http://antietam.aotw.org/officers.php?unit_id=377

      Thanks to Johnson & Anderson's Artillery Hell, I have been able to cross
      artillery to units fairly completely on the website (I think). If that's of
      interest, you can start here:
      http://antietam.aotw.org/weapons.php?weapon_id=all

      If anyone does well-documented research in this area, I'd be very happy to
      put the results on AotW - for sure.

      Brian

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas G. Clemens" <tgclemens@...>
      wrote:

      > No problem Jim. I have all the volumes of those books. If someone is
      curious about a specific regiment I will be happy to look up and share what
      I know. I will not do whole brigades are divisions for someone, just for
      the sake of my time. Might a good project for Brian to track on the AotW
      site and add as we go along????

      <tgclemens@...<mailto:tgclemens%40hagerstowncc.edu>>
      "TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>" <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>>
      > Sent: Thu, October 28, 2010 9:42:53 AM
      > Subject: RE: [TalkAntietam] Information on Firearms Used by Regiments at
      > Antietam
      >
      > Not really. Record keeping was just getting organized at the federal
      level.
      > Years ago I searched the Ordnance returns for some artillery, and nothing
      > existed before last quarter of 1862. And this was a US Regular battery!
      Fred