6391Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Regimental numbers during the Maryland Campaign

    Oct 8, 2010
      Dear Larry,

      The way I understand Veteran, Trained, Green is as follows:

      Veteran = Trained and Engaged in at least one to two campaigns and/or battles;

      Trained = Unit has been through a Camp of Instruction (complete cycle) but has yet to fight a battle or engage in a campaign;

      Green = Barely trained (if at all!) and maybe less than 3 weeks in a Camp of Instruction.

      An excellent example of the "Green" category would be the hapless Sixteenth Connecticut, which was basically obliterated by the veterans of (IIRC) Maxcy Gregg's brigade of A P Hill's Light Division down on the Ninth Corps section of the field, as that Union Corps was advancing into Sharpsburg environs from the SW.

      Crack troops might be, for example, A P Hill's Light Division; the same division could also be Elite troops. No idea what Miers meant by the two.