6350Re: [TalkAntietam] Crampton's Gap

  • Teej Smith
    Sep 22, 2010
      Mike Peters wrote:

      Tom et al,
      "The gun taken by us was a pet piece with our enemy, having the name 'Jennie'
      painted upon the limber, and some other lettering which stated that it was
      presented to a GA battery by the patriotic ladies of that state. Horses,
      caisson, all complete, were captured with the 'Jennie.' The 95th next marched
      with its division to Antietam."

      From the Cobb's Legion website: "The gun that was lost at Crampton's Gap had been given the name "Jennie." The newspapers had a field day touting the capture of "Jennie." We believe that Jennie possibly was named for the sweetheart of Tom Barrow, Miss Jennie Turner, who became his wife after the war."