6267Re: For Stephen Recker

  • s_recker
    Jul 4, 2010
      Steve,

      Thanks, but I have scans of those images already for my book on early photography at Antietam coming if fall of 2012 (shameless plug). I have no additional hard info on those photos, but here are my thoughts, er, speculations, as I plan to lay them out.

      The b&w 8x10 matches the look in his stereoview, although it looks as though the 8x10 pre-dates the stereo. I figure that he got his outdoor equipment around 1877, which would make him about 59 years old in the stereo if it were an early promo photo (most people take photos of themselves with equipment that is new).The 8x10 of his wife Mary Catherine, matches in style his 8x10, so that is a positive.

      The image you speak of matches the 8x10 in that it has those huge Recher ears and his jaw looks similar. He opened his photo studio on the square around 1855, best as I can find, which would make him twenty-seven if the portrait you speak of is a self-portrait of the new entrepreneur? Pretty thin, I know, but we take what we can get.

      The third image of Recher, the really young one, has the same ears, although hidden, but the mouth is pouting and the jaw is more full, unlike the middle image. This threw me until recently when I received the incredible gift of a photo of young Harry Recher at the age of eight.

      My father's name is Harry Recker. His given name is Henry, thus my son's name. You can imagine my delight when I saw this photo of young Harry Recher! He has those huge ears but, interestingly, he has a pout and a full jaw just like the young (supposedly) Elias Recher in the WCHS photo. I also believe, based on this image, that the youngster standing by Elias in the stereoview is young Harry at the age of nine. Elias had a lot of sons, but if the stereo is 1877, Harry is the best fit.

      Hope that helps.

      Steve

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

      > Steve..
      > This one shows him (assuming it is him) as a young man, by the clothing I would estimate the late 1850s.....clean shaven on the front of the face, but with whiskers wrapping down under his chin....dark tails or frock coat, lighter brocade double breasted vest, standing collar, with wide cravat. Very antebellum in appearance. It was indentified in their files as Recher.
      >
      > Gimme your email address and I will email a copy to you.
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "s_recker" <recker@> wrote:
      > >
      > > If you are talking about the black and white 8x10 copy print of him with the big beard, I have no doubt that it is him, simply by comparing it to the stereo. The description, IIRC, simply gives his dates and describes him as a prominent photographer from Hagerstown. Not much to argue with there, but maybe we are not talking about the same photo?
      > >

      > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <jeffcowvplanning@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Steve..
      > > >
      > > > Have you seen the portrait photo of Elias Recher at the WCHS collection?
      > > >
      > > > I ran across it in their photo files. You are the Recher expert...are you aware of the photo...and do you have any dispute with the description?
      > > >
      > > > Comparing it to the stereo card of him in front of his photography wagon, it appears that it could be him 25 years later.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks.
      > > > Steve Bockmiller

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic