6247Rededication for 48th PA Monument: May 29

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    May 26, 2010
      After a many decades-long absence and thanks to the generous contributions of donors from all across the United States, the missing sword has been replaced on the statue of Brigadier General James Nagle on the 48th Pennsylvania Monument at Antietam.

      My good friend John Hoptak has done a commendable job in organizing this fund-raising effort. Nagle is from my hometown (Pottsville) and is buried in my Church's cemetery.

      A rededication ceremony will occur at Antietam on Saturday, May 29, 2010, at 11:00 AM.

      Antietam scholar John Schildt will provide the invocation, followed by a welcoming address by Superintendent John Howard, and then Mike Kraus will discuss his efforts. John Hoptak will conclude the ceremony by delivering the dedication address, followed by the unveiling.

      Tom Shay - County Schuylkill, PA