6217Re: for Stephen Recker

  • s_recker
    Mar 11, 2010
      Steve,

      Very interesting. That would make more sense. Phreaner took a few early photos of the battlefield (1867) but not enough to justify him having a photograph wagon. It was not until around 1877 when the Pen Mar area became a tourist attraction that he and Recher both started taking a lot of outdoor photos, mostly stereoviews. And with Tipton shooting at Antietam in 1877 and with the dedication of Antietam National Cemetery in 1880, their focus shifted towards that area. Great research. Thanks.

      Stephen

      Looking forward to your book.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning" <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

      > Stephen..
      > I took another look at that photographer's wagon stereoview (Recher or Freaner...I forget). Anyway...I want to back track on what I said. Looking at the clothes on the kid in the photo...I would say it is likely around 1880...not the Civil War vintage I opined a few weeks ago.
      >
      > Hagerstown book is well under way. May get it to publisher well in advance of our October delivery date.
      >
      > Steve Bockmiller

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic