6160Re: Little Sorrel at Hagerstown

  • s_recker
    Feb 21, 2010
      Steve,

      That's great about the book. Looking forward to it. I heard about it last week when I went by your office trying to find info on the location of photo galleries on West Washington Street. Love the markers, BTW.

      I'm pretty sure that you won't find that image at the WCHS. I've spent a lot of time the last few years organizing their photographs, with a particular eye on the Recher stereoviews. I have scanned all of their stereos and they have a printed book you can peruse. That said, don't let me dissuade you from looking through the stacks. I hope I missed some really good stuff.

      Stephen

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning" <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, Stephen. I found the reference on the net when I googled "Little Sorrel" and "Hagerstown"...didn't actually read it in a hard copy of the book.
      >
      > I am working on a photo-history of Hagerstown in the Civil War, and would like to use it in the post-war chapter, if I can find it. I am praying I will find it at the WC Historical Society.
      >
      > By the way...I am the designer of the historic markers you mentioned. More are on the way.
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "s_recker" <recker@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Steve,
      > >
      > > What a great tidbit. I don't remember having read that. I am not aware of the image, but know who to ask and will report.
      > >
      > > If Recher took an outdoor image in 1884, it would be a stereoview, published on a bright orange mount. He died in 1887, though strangely I just became aware of an 1888 image on one of his orange stereoview mounts? So, he may have been taking photographs after his death?
      > >
      > > Strange that he chose Recher to take the photo of Little Sorrel, as famed Hagerstown/Antietam photographer B.W.T. Phreaner lived right across Potomac Street from Douglas. Both houses still stand. In fact, a nice old portrait of Douglas, taken by Phreaner late in life, was just put on a wayside outside the Hagerstown City Building at West Washington and Summit downtown.
      > >
      > > Phreaner was known to compete in the Hagerstown Ag Fair's photo contest and was probably at his booth when Douglas went looking for a photographer to snap an image of Stonewall's horse. The story I imagine is that Phreaner came back to find he had been scooped by Recher and was very upset. Douglas, to ease his mind, promised that he would sit for a portrait. And that is how history is made.
      > >
      > > Stephen
      > >

      > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning" <jeffcowvplanning@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Howdy everyone. Looking for a needle in a haystack.
      > > >
      > > > In "Stonewall Rode With Me" (grin), Henry K. Douglas related that in 1884 he arrange for Little Sorrel to be brought to Hagerstown to be exhibited in the Hagerstown Agricultural Fair. He wrote that there was a photo taken by Recher of the horse on his front lawn, held by an aged veteran of the Stonewall Brigade.
      > > >
      > > > Does anybody know if any copies of this photo still exist, and if so, where?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks.
      > > > Steve Bockmiller

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic