6153Re: [TalkAntietam] PRESS RELEASE - Shepherdstown Battlefield

    Feb 18, 2010
      HI Ian,
      I understand what you're saying however, the areas alluded to in the
      Press Release represent the study done by American Battlefield
      Protection Program and the nomination for the National Historic Trust.
      Our studies show that rough 300 acres we've focused on has only a few,
      (six?) house on it, including the Osbourne Farm, and yes, I know it has
      been altered since the war. When the area is expanded to ABPP or NHT
      specs in incorporates not only much more land, but many more houses,
      including those east of Trough Road. In other words about 2,000 acres
      and many, many more houses. While in a perfect world we would say, yes,
      this is all battlefield and we want to raise money to buy all these
      houses, tear them down and restore the whole battlefield, the reality is
      that ain't gonna happen. Geez, even Gettysburg does not talk serious
      about buying the "strip" along Emmitsburg road or Baltimore Pike and
      restoring that view, and if they can't get the money, we sure aren't.
      So we focus on the largest undeveloped portion that will still allow
      interpretation of the site. Over time, if it starts raining money for
      battlefields, sure, we'd love to go after some of those houses and the
      land they occupy, but until then, or until I win the Powerball Lottery,
      we focus on the possible.
      Thanks for the comments.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> Ian Workman <cwdigger@...> 2/17/2010 5:05 PM >>>
      The true core of the battlefield would be the Ellis farm, the Rider
      Farm,
      and the portion of land that the octagonal house sits on along with
      the
      ravine. There is very little evidence of the battle east of the Rider
      House
      going towards rattlesnake run.

      There was a portion of the battle that took place west of Teague Run.

      I have almost traced the empacement of the confederate Whitworth
      Rifled
      Cannon to the hillside of Ed Moore's Farm.

      The maryland side offers the same structure but doesn't go as far east
      as
      Miller's Sawmill Road. Most of what is in that general area is from
      the
      winter encampments from the Mass. troops.

      On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 9:18 AM, edunleavy921
      <edunleavy@...>wrote:

      > For Immediate Release – February 17, 2010
      > Shepherdstown, West Virginia
      >
      > For more information, contact:
      > Edward E. Dunleavy
      > President,
      > Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association Inc.
      > (917) 747 - 5748
      >
      > PARK SERVICE STUDY AFFIRMS LOCATION & SIZE OF SHEPHERDSTOWN CIVIL
      WAR
      > BATTLEFIELD
      >
      > In an update of the 1993 Report on the Nation's Civil War
      Battlefields, the
      > Civil War Sites Advisory Commission (CWSAC) has provided information
      that
      > sites the location of the 1862 Battle of Shepherdstown and provides
      more
      > information about the actual size of the core of the battlefield. The
      report
      > concludes that the core of the battlefield, as defined, is 1,534.4
      acres;
      > 1,034.64 acres in West Virginia (WV) and 499.76 acres in Maryland
      (MD). More
      > importantly, the study concludes that the potential National
      > boundary amounts to 4,259.32 acres; 2,502.71 acres in WV and 1,756.61
      acres
      > in MD. The report notes that four WV battlefields, including the
      > Shepherdstown site, "have the largest percentages of Study Area land
      to land
      > potentially eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic
      Places
      > land. The ABPP (American Battlefield Protection Program of the
      National Park
      > Service) believes that all of these battlefields should be viewed as
      higher
      > priorities for preservation."
      >
      > Edward Dunleavy, speaking as President of the Shepherdstown
      Battlefield
      > Preservation Association Inc. (SBPA) stated that: "this report
      should
      > finally put to rest the insistence by some that the battle took place
      only
      > on the bluffs over looking the Potomac River. Not only was the
      fighting over
      > a large area of northern Jefferson County, the importance of the
      battle is
      > not to be under-estimated. General Robert E. Lee intended to continue
      the
      > Maryland Campaign and, on September 19, 1862, after retreating from
      MD,
      > issued orders to the Army of Northern Virginia to cross the Potomac
      back
      > into MD at Williamsport. An important reason that Lee changed those
      orders
      > and retreated south was the Battle of Shepherdstown which convinced
      Lee that
      > the Union Army of the Potomac was pursuing his troops aggressively.
      Two days
      > later President Abraham Lincoln was able to issue the Emancipation
      > Proclamation."
      >
      > The Civil War Battlefield Preservation Act of 2002 directed "the
      Secretary
      > of Interior acting through the American Battlefield Protection
      Program
      > (ABPP) of the National Park Service, to update the ... (CWSAC) Report
      on the
      > Nation's Civil War Battlefields." Funding for the update was provided
      by
      > Congress in Fiscal Year 2005 and 2007.Early this month the report for
      WV was
      > released and provided information about each battlefield relative to
      the
      > size of: 1) the study area; 2) the core area; and 3) the potential
      National
      > Register boundary area.
      >
      > "The Study Area represents the historic extent of the battle as it
      unfolded
      > across the landscape." It contains the area in which the troops were
      > maneuvered and deployed immediately before, during and after combat.
      In the
      > case of the Battle of Shepherdstown, the study area totals 4,549.21
      acres;
      > 2,792.6 in WV and 1,756.61 in MD. "Historic accounts, terrain
      analysis and
      > feature identification inform the delineation of the Study Area
      boundary."

      > "The Core Area represents the areas of fighting on the battlefield.
      > Positions that delivered or received fire, and the intervening space
      and
      > terrain between them, fall within the Core Area." This is frequently
      > described as "hallowed ground". "On current WV maps," Dunleavy
      stated, "this
      > area is approximately from Teague Run in the west to Rattlesnake Run
      in the
      > east and as far south as Engle-Moler Road and Aspen Pool Farm. In MD,
      the
      > area runs from Ferry Hill in the west to about Millers Sawmill Road
      in the
      > East and approximately 3/8 of a mile north of the Potomac.
      >
      > SBPA continues to focus on trying to save the "core" of the "core" or
      about
      > 300 acres. "Our focus is on that area where most of the fighting
      occurred in
      > WV", stated Dunleavy, "it remains in relatively pristine condition
      and would
      > be perfect for a Civil War Battlefield Park, not only preserving
      `hallowed
      > ground' but encouraging heritage tourism in Jefferson County.
      >
      > Dr. Thomas Clemens, a noted Civil War historian, a Board member of
      SBPA and
      > the President of Save Historic Antietam Foundation (SHAF) commented
      that
      > "much of the battlefield site in MD is included within the C & O
      Canal
      > National Park. In addition, many historians view the Shepherdstown
      Battle as
      > the end of the Battle of Antietam and the SHAF has been active for
      more than
      > 20 years in preserving battlefield land in MD."
      >
      > A copy of the CWSAC report can be obtained at:
      > http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/abpp/CWSII/CWSIIStateReportWV.htm
      >
      > *************************************
      >
      > The Shepherdstown Battlefield Preservation Association Inc. (SBPA),
      > organized in 2004, is a non-profit, Section 501(c)(3) organization
      dedicated
      > to saving and preserving the site of the 1862 Battle of
      Shepherdstown. SBPA
      > has preserved 84 acres by way of conservation easements granted by
      members
      > who own property on the site. For more information and to purchase
      the book
      > entitled: Shepherdstown: Last Clash of the Antietam Campaign
      September 19 –