6132Question re "Carry Me Back toOl' Virginny" Song

    Jan 29 10:12 AM
      Gang;

      While doing some supplemental research for my book manuscript, I
      came across the mention that, when Lee's army retreated across
      the Potomac into Maryland, the soldiers demanded, and go, the
      bands to play "Carry Me Back to Ol' Virginny".

      Upon some further investigation, what I was able to learn was
      apparently it was written by a James Bland, an African-American,
      ca. 1875.

      I am currently reading a book about Generals Lee and Grant,
      titled, "The Generals". When the Lee family left West Point upon
      completion of Lee's term as Superintendent there, in the rain,
      the cadet band played the family to the waiting boat at the wharf
      to transport them back to New York for Virginia. The song the
      cadet band played was the one mentioned above and the date was
      the early 1850's.

      Apparently it was a well enough known song for the cadet band at
      West Point to know and play. So, why the discrepancy in the
      recorded usages of the song with when the song was supposedly
      composed?