6095Re: re Infantry support for Captain Millers battery in Piper Orchard

  • joseph_pierro
    Jan 14, 2010
      It's worse than chaotic. Even talking in terms of unit types, in regard to the Confederates, can be a misnomer at Antietam. You have some brigades that started the day at regimental strength, and certain regiments that went in as oversized companies. So right off the bat, discussing particular CS "regiments" being opposed to Union ones, for example, suggests a parity -- and an organizational hierarchy -- that probably never existed on the field (and if it did, it disappeared quickly).

      Once the Confederates in the sunken road start taking casualties, and then their line is broken, I question the extent to which there was any Southern unit cohesion (at least among the infantry) on that part of the field after a certain point.

      Moltke the Elder's comment about the American Civil War being nothing more than armed mobs chasing one another is likely apocryphal, but if there was ever a moment in the war when it came close to the truth, it would be as a description of that counter-attack in the center by whatever was left of Hill's and Anderson's Divisions.

      > Jake,
      >

      > The maps are a feeble attempt to show what was happening when. It
      > is almost an impossibility to accurate depict what units were
      > from minute to minute.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic