6088re Infantry support for Captain Millers battery in Piper Orchard

    Jan 13, 2010
      Gang,

      While reading the Carman MS for the Sunken Road fight, I noticed
      his mention of Captain M B Miller (Third Company, Washington
      Artillery) having some infantry support in the Piper Orchard at
      the time Miller and his battery were doing their utmost to keep
      the apparently victorious Union forces from advancing further
      than the Piper corn field after cracking open the Confederate
      left center at the Sunken Road.

      Interestingly enough, Carman merely mentions "infantry support"
      but does not divulge any further details about this. I always had
      been under the impression Miller's Third Company of the
      Washington Artillery pretty much did its job without any infantry
      support to provide counter-infantry coverage.

      Does any one in this group happen to know which Confederate units
      or parts of CS units might have been that infantry support?

      Thanks for your prompt assistance!

    »
    «