6052Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Congratulations, Tom!

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Jan 7, 2010
      Do you want help with the Chicago stuff? I could maybe run down there, if
      you have a cite, Tom.

      Dave Powell

      In a message dated 1/7/2010 11:08:45 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      clemenst@... writes:

      Another mystery to resolve now: in the Chicago PL is a series of letters
      to a third party, cannot recall the name off-hand, from a number of
      Confederates from AL that were solicited by a newspaper advertisement in
      Birmingham to send their recollections of Antietam. (I think I shared a couple of
      these with Gerry) They represent several regiments, including a couple
      from Wilcox's brigade, that help with that part of the fight. What is
      intriguing is that all addressed to this third party except one, which is
      addressed to Carman. So what is the connection here? I cannot find one. So far
      anyway. Was Carman using"stringers?" I don't know.
      You're right, I will be working on Carman's letter the rest of my life.
      So far I have over 1,700 in a database. And many more to catalog.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens