6047Re: [TalkAntietam] Congratulations, Tom!

    Jan 7, 2010
      Dear Jake,

      As someone who knows Tom Clemens and is familiar with his
      doctoral thesis (which is probably the basis for his book, that
      is, Volume 1), I can tell you that Tom spent months during his
      doctoral thesis working up the annotations for names, etc that
      appear in the Carman MS.

      Interesting points about the OOB that is in Carman as to how it
      originated! However, Harsh makes some intriguing comments in his
      research companion to Taken at the Flood book... I speak of
      Sounding the Shallows here... that Carman somewhere must have
      included strength numbers for each of the units involved in the
      campaign or battle.

      From my own research into the Sunken Road and from reading
      Carman, I have discovered that most of the map depictions of the
      position of the Second NC in essays or treatments of the Sunken
      Road fight are incorrect. According to Carman, the two right-most
      companies of the Second fronted directly into the Roulette Lane.
      This would mean the majority of the regiment thereby went to the
      west, up toward the bend in the Sunken Road where the ground
      level drops sharply.