6045Congratulations, Tom!

  • joseph_pierro
    Jan 7, 2010
      I just want to take the belated opportunity to congratulate Tom Clemens. I learned only yesterday that the first volume of HIS edition of the Carman manuscript is due out in the summer, and I look forward to reading it.

      I know Tom has spent quite a number of years working with this material, and no one knows better than I what a Herculean task it can be to come to terms with the MOUNTAIN of paper involved -- not simply Carman's gargantuan manuscript, but also the trunkfuls of supporting documents.

      As I said in the introduction to my edition of Carman some years ago, entire books could be written on the basis of critical examinations of everything Carman had to say (or didn't say, or said incorrectly). That was a larger task than I cared to engage in in my work. (I had the more modest goal of simply making Carman's original work more accessible to scholars an enthusiasts alike.)

      It appears that Tom is taking that next step forward, and I wish him the best in completing it.

      --jake
    • Show all 33 messages in this topic