6032Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Carman and designations of troops

    Jan 2, 2010
      Larry,

      Be as that may, I am hoping Tom Clemens will comment on the
      original post, since he is perhaps -- next to Jake Pierro -- the
      one most familiar with Carman's manuscript.

      I do believe Carman had a designation for the various regimental
      commands to reflect their level of combat experience/expertise.
      Interestingly enough, Harsh does allude to this, because in his
      Sounding the Shallows (IIRC), he mentions that the Confederate
      troop strengths per regiment as given by Carman actually were
      done on the Federal model (present for duty) rather than the
      Confederate model (muskets only) and consequently, the numbers
      favor the Federals.

      I would be very interested in what differentiated Crack vs Elite
      troops. According to the OOB in Carman (or Sid Meier, if that is
      where it came from), the Midwestern Brigade ("Iron Brigade")
      commanded by Gibbon at Sharpsburg was given the designation of
      "Crack troops" -- even though the first engagement for the
      command was Brawner's Farm about three to four weeks earlier.