6025Re: [TalkAntietam] re Carman and designations of troops

    Jan 2, 2010
      Dean,

      Actually the OOB is in itself an error. Most historians make the
      mistake of back dating the OOB for the ANVa to September; as I am
      sure you well know, the OOB for ANVa for Fredericksburg reflects
      the reorganization efforts which Lee undertook beginning on
      September 18th and continuing through October, with the final
      announces being done in early November.

      Harsh makes a convincing argument that at least a third of the
      ANVa strength present on September 17th was not attached to
      either Jackson's or Longstreet's wings, but independent commands,
      answering directly to Lee.

      The CS Congress did not authorize the rank of Lieutenant-General
      until early October, about three weeks after Sharpsburg. Once Lee
      receives word of this, he immediately proposes to the War
      Department that Longstreet and Jackson be promoted to the new
      rank and given command of a corps. Also interesting that
      Longstreet's DOR (date of rank) for Lieutenant-General predates
      Jackson's by a day!

      There is also evidence that Lee might have considered A P Hill
      and D H Hill for a possible third corps. Lee was clearly not
      happy overall with D H Hill's performance. Even though A P Hill's
      stock had risen considerably and Lee considered him the best
      general he had after Longstreet and Jackson, I do not think Lee
      was yet ready to hand Little Powell another Lieutenant-Generlacy
      and a third corps.