6021re Carman and designations of troops

    Jan 2, 2010
      Gang,

      I have noticed that Carman, in his Antietam OOB at the end of the
      battle manuscript found on this link
      (http://kperlotto3.home.comcast.net/~kperlotto3/carman/carman.html
      ) uses the designations of Green Troops, Trained Troops, Veteran
      Troops, Elite Troops and Crack Troops.

      I understand the how and why of his designation of Green Troops,
      especially for the nine month units in the AoP (and similarly for
      the Trained Troops). Veteran troops would be those which had at
      least seen one battle.

      Any one know what criteria he used to distinguish between Elite
      Troops and Crack Troops?