6014Re: [TalkAntietam] Sherlock Holmes and Antietam

    Dec 31, 2009
      Do you have a citation on that? It strikes me I read an article years ago explaining how Doyle named the famous detective after two gunners in the royal artillery in India, one named Sherlock and the other Holmes. I recall it be speculative, but never heard this story at all.
      BTW, I will not be seeing the new movie. Jeremy Brett defined the role and nobody else hold a candle to him.

      >>> "csh_2088" <csh_2088@...> 12/31/09 1:16 AM >>>
      With the new Sherlock Holmes movie coming out I thought I would point
      out an interesting connection between the detective and the battle of
      Antietam. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle gave the detective the last name of
      Holmes because he was a fan of Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. His son Oliver
      Wendell Holmes Jr. was an officer in the Army of the Potomac and was
      seriously wounded at the battle of Antietam.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic