6012Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Pleasonton's Division on the 18th

  • Dean Essig
    Dec 31, 2009
      Thanks, Larry!

      That is a lot more detail than I had unearthed. Your suppositions
      seem correct to me.

      Reoccupying the original encampment (especially at night) makes a
      great deal of sense while going elsewhere "just because" does not,
      especially since they had no specific orders for the 18th.

      If McClellan had some vague idea of a mission for the them on the
      18th that was not written, it would not seem that camping a half a
      mile further NW would prepare them for anything beyond what they
      could do in their old camp.

      That's a great help.

      I have an additional question regarding the movement of Morell after
      being relieved and sent to support IX Corps, but have to work up the
      details so it makes sense. Kicking around the dusty corners of the
      history just after the battle.

      Happy New Year everyone!

      Dean

      On Dec 30, 2009, at 4:23 PM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:

      > Dean,
      >
      > Until a real expert replies, here is what I have:
      >
      > Carman says that on the evening of the 17th they "returned to the
      > bivouac near Keedysville," 320. Earlier he wrote that they were
      > located "just west of Keedysville," 202; then "his "cavalry
      > division bivouacked on the night of the sixteenth in the west
      > suburbs of Keedysville," 317. Interestingly, Carman-Cope maps show
      > the annotation that the cavalry's location is "approximate only."
      > Crowninshield of the First Massachusetts Cavalry wrote that "The
      > regiment bivouacked in a little piece of woods close on the main
      > road, at a place called Keedysville," 76; later he recalled that
      > "About dark (of the 17th) the cavalry was withdrawn, recrossing the
      > Antietam Creek further to the westward, and it went into bivouac
      > after dark in the old place at Keedysville," 80. Abner Hard of the
      > Eighth Illinois Cavalry wrote that on "September 16th, we remained
      > in the woods a mile or two in advance of Keedysville, and not more
      > than that distance from the enemy's line," 184. He then wrote that
      > that evening his "regiment was marched back half a mile and rested
      > for the night," 186, implying that they did not return to camp the
      > night of the 17th. Likely Pleasonton's cavalry stayed in the same
      > bivouac between Keedysville and McClellan's headquarters at the Pry
      > House from their arrival on the field on the 15th to the 19th when
      > cavalry regiments bivouacked in Sharpsburg, 189, Crowninshield, 81.
      > Perhaps McClellan wanted them to be close to his headquarters but
      > also with quick access to the Keedysville-Williamsport and
      > Sharpsburg-Boonsboro roads.
      >
      > Have you come up with anything else?
      >
      > Larry

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic