5986Happy Thanksgiving

  • Dave
    Nov 26, 2009
      October 3, 1863
      The last paragraph of the Proclamation for a Day of Thanksgiving

      I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United
      States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in
      foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November
      next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who
      dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up
      the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and
      blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national
      perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who
      have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable
      civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore
      the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation
      and restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to
      the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.
      Abraham Lincoln

      I also second Gerry's thoughts. Along those lines, Bobby Housch has
      prepared an excellent article for today on Gettysburg Daily
      <http://www.gettysburgdaily.com/> that really hit home with me.

      Dave McGowan
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic