5957Sunken Road Questions

    Nov 11, 2009
      Gang,

      While reading the copy of the Carman MS dealing with the battle
      itself, particularly the Sunken Road, I noticed the following
      information:

      Referring to Rodes and Anderson against Kimball of French:
      "Kimball says: "Directly in my front, in a narrow road running
      parallel with my line, and, being washed by water, forming a
      natural rifle-pit between my line and a large cornfield, I found
      the enemy in great force, _as also in the cornfield in rear of
      the ditch._"

      Question.. .when Kimball comes up, has any portion of R H
      Anderson's division appeared behind the Sunken Road?

      In the book "Antietam Campaign" edited by Gary Gallagher, Robert
      Krick has a great essay on the Bloody Lane fight. In it he
      mentions that Lt F L Weaver, the last officer available to
      command the Fourth NC, stood up and waved the regimental flag to
      show Confederate units coming up they had friends in front and
      was killed "by friendly fire". However, a search through Carman
      does not say this.

      Anyone know where or how Krick determined this particular piece
      of information?