5926Re: [TalkAntietam] re R H Anderson Division early morning to mornig of Sept 17

  • Dean Essig
    Oct 29, 2009
      On Oct 28, 2009, at 2:37 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

      > Good points etc. But how can we really be sure?

      You can't, you can only look at the available evidence.

      > Anderson was not
      > really part of M'Laws once he reaches Sharpsburg, regardless of
      > what M'Laws says in his OR report.

      McLaws didn't imply that Anderson was under his command, that I can
      see... he was just carrying an order from Longstreet to the guy in
      charge of the division coming up behind his own.

      > Since other maps I have seen
      > indicate (and I think the map you mentioned earlier for the
      > slightly later time frame) Anderson somewhere near the Michael
      > farm, that is slightly to the north of the village.

      This is correct and based on the Carmen-Cope maps, he arrived there
      between 0830 and 0900 (the time of the next earlier map...where the
      division is not shown at all... and the next one where the division
      is moving through the Michael farm on its way forward to the Sunken
      Road.

      > The problem
      > with Cemetery Hill (what we know now as that was actually the
      > hill...with a cornfield...right by the Lutheran cemetery) is that
      > it lies to the _east_ of the village.

      Sure, and all accounts I've been able to find state that Longstreet's
      order was for Anderson to move to the hill "beyond" the town (which
      works just fine for Cem Hill). McLaws himself, Carmen and Harsh (pg
      367) all agree on this... and all use McLaws' OR report as the source.

      I have not been able to find an account where the order specified
      "north" of the town, please tell me where you saw it.

      You might find Sounding the Shallows, Chapter 9 part I, pg 198-199 of
      use.

      Dean