5882Re: 124th PA and the Hagerstown Pike fence

  • gtmcftsotcwgrad
    Oct 17, 2009
      Stephen,

      I checked the ORs (just on the very off chance that you hadn't...) and read through the pertinent reports, but I only found scant references to any fences. In Maj. Haldeman's report, the regiment did advance to "the fence," but it doesn't give many details:

      On reaching the extreme edge of the wood on the east side of the corn-field, our line was formed and stationed in a position behind the fence. We were then ordered to advance, a portion of our right extending across the road and beyond the grain stacks. We were led in line into the corn-field about 20 paces, and ordered to halt, as we could not distinguish our own troops. It is here our colonel was wounded. We were then ordered to fall back to the edge of the corn-field and take position behind the fence, which was done in good order. We were again ordered to advance, when the right, advancing about 100 yards, received a raking fire from the enemy in the woods, which was responded to by repeated volleys from our men, but the fire from our left and the battery of the enemy on the right compelled us to again fall back to the stacks. A battery now planted on the hill between the wood and the corn-field and opposite the stacks, this portion of our right was ordered to its support. The balance of the regiment followed up the advance through the corn-field, making many successful charges upon the enemy, until they were also ordered back to the support of the battery.

      Maj. I.J. Haldeman
      O.R.s Vol. XIX, Part I, page 491.

      The rest of the report talks about how they were ordered to withdraw, etc., and none of the other reports mention a fence in conjunction with the 124th PVI.

      Hope that helps!

      Adam Zimmerli
      MA/MLIS