5853Re: [TalkAntietam] River Fording Adventure

    Sep 27, 2009
      Nor do I. Thanks for the offer, we'll do it. Reminder for all about SHAF Work Day on Nov. 14 from 9 until ??? Meet at the Visitor's Center Parking lot and bring gloves, water, etc. Dress for theweather, cancelled if it is steady rain.

      >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 09/27/09 3:22 PM >>>
      I was on the 3:30 tour with Tom McGrath and we seemed not to be on the smooth part I remember from last year. His description of the battle was excellent however. Two of our group fell in but did not get totally under--heads remained above water.

      I would be willing to help scout the ford next year. Perhaps if two or three of us started at the mill dam and formed a line heading downriver, we could find it.

      Here is some other info on the ford from John H. Worsham of the Twenty-first Virginia Infantry who crossed with Early 4 July 1864 from WV into MD: For about one-third of the way the bottom of the river was covered with large round stones, after which was a smooth and level bed of granite that extended nearly to the opposite bank. I got along very well until I reached the level granite bottom, which was covered with minute shells so very sharp that they stuck into my feet at every step," p. 150, "One of Jackson's Foot Cavalry."

      I remember the boulders from last year but they were on the Maryland side of the ford. I don't remember as many weeds in the water last year.