5851[TalkAntietam] Re: River crossing

    Sep 24, 2009
      Hi Ron,
      Great to see you again, and to meet your brother. I think we went in lower down last year because we came upstream to where we crossed, but came out, about where we crossed this year, I think. I remember coming out along someone's driveway last year, not at that pavilion. Like I said, better recon next time.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "dickeyr46" <dickeyr46@...> 9/24/2009 8:07 AM >>>

      Tom, Ed, and Carol,
      Thanks to all who made Saturday's crossing of the Potomac, battlefield tour, and follow-up social such a great success... hopefully to further the preservation of the Shepherdstown battlefield area. I believe all participants enjoyed themselves, I certainly did.
      I participated last year and experienced the pavement-like bottom mentioned. I believe we entered at the same spot, but last year we paralleled the bank for 30 to 40 yards and moved up stream. Last year, the initial entry was also rocky, but this year we failed to move up stream and find the smooth bottom. Well, that's the way I remember it.
      Hopefully, I'll see ya'll at the crossing next year.
      Ron Dickey