5830Re: Burnside Closer to HF than Franklin?

  • wh_keene
    Sep 13, 2009
      Harsh is referring to end of day on the 12th. According to Franklin's report he marched from Barnsville through Urbana to near the Monocacy on the 12th, putting him almost behind Burnside. I dont think he was at Licksville.

      > Rene Tyree posted an interesting statement from Harsh that Burnside in Frederick was "considerably nearer" to HF than Franklin in Licksville (now Tuscarora) on 12/13 September (TATF, p. 210). Until now, I never looked at that statement closely but upon doing so, I don't understand it well.
      >
      > On modern roads most of which are on or near CW era roads, both Frederick and Tuscarora are about 21 miles from HF (MapQuest). (Straight-line miles show Tuscarora about 15 mi. and Frederick about 19 from HF; mostly irrelevant since neither Burnside or Franklin could have gone in a straight line.)
      >
      > At first blush, it seems that the march from Frederick could only be more advantageous because it would have been more direct on better roads, the Frederick-HF Turnpike (AKA Harper's Ferry Road or Ridge Road) through Jefferson to Knoxville then to HF while the route from Licksville to HF would have been less direct on worse roads. Franklin I suppose could have used the C&O Canal towpath but marching thousands of men, wagons, etc., using that narrow path would have taken a long time and exposed his army to destruction as it would have been strung out for many miles.
      >
      > Contemporary maps (from LOC, "1858 Map of Frederick County, Md. accurately drawn from correct instrumental surveys of all the county roads, & by Issac Bond C.E. Lithographed by E. Sachse & Co." and an 1861 map also from the LOC, "Frederick County, Maryland / prepared under the direction of Liut. Col. J.N. Macomb Chf. Topl. Engr., for the use of Maj. Gen. G. B. McClellan, commanding U.S. Army, 1861") show the distance from Frederick City to Knoxville as 15 miles and then it looks like another 5 or 6 to HF by my estimate. These maps also show about 16 mi. from Licksville to Knoxville. The last road on this route which would likely have been used from Licksville hits the HF Turnpike NW of Petersville and then follows the turnpike to Knoxville.
      >
      > Likely I'm missing/misunderstanding Harsh's point? Maybe he has Franklin still in Barnesville which is 5 miles from Licksville when Burnside is in Frederick--if so, then Burnside is definitely closer.
      >
      > On the 13th, Franklin had his HQ about 3 miles east of Jefferson. That morning, there was some fighting nearer Jefferson with Union cavalry and infantry against Rebel cavalry under Munford. Rush's Lancers had been dispatched early on the 13th to Jefferson Gap in the Catoctins some six miles southwest of Frederick where Col. Munford and his two regiments waited. The Lancers arrived with their infantry escort, the Ninth New York Infantry, just after noon and stopped having seen Confederate cannon in the road ahead.
      >
      > Arguably then on the 13th, Burnside had infantry closer to HF but it was only 2 regiments.
      >
      > Any thoughts about why Harsh said that Burnside was "considerably nearer?"
      >
      > Larry

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic