5827Re: Capture of Longstreet's ammunition train, 9/15

    Sep 7, 2009

      You are correct. He was on Longstreet's staff as as an assistant ordnance officer and was placed in charge of Longstreet's ordnance train heading for Williamsport when captured. Sarah Morgan wrote "A Confederate Girl's Diary." Dawson served initially in the Conf. States Navy then as a volunteer in Purcell's Battery. After the war, he was a reporter for the Richmond Examiner, then the Dispatch, next the National Express and Transportation Company, then the Charleston Mercury, then the Charleston News. His Reminiscenses include a poem of his, "Only A Private."

      > Larry;
      >
      > You answered my question before I posted it. Dawson was, IIRC,
      > part of Longstreet's staff at the time. What people do not know
      > about him was that his second wife was Sarah Morgan, who left a
      > great diary of life in Baton Rouge during the War. Dawson also
      > wrote some poetry.

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic