5808Special Order 191 Question

    Aug 30, 2009
      Dear All,

      Yesterday evening, while sitting under a tent fly at a small CW
      event, along with two friends, one whom portrays Gen. J
      Longstreet and the other who portrays Maj Gen LaFayette M'Laws, a
      discussion was held about Special Order 191. Topics of the
      discussion pertained to the copy which D H Hill receives from Gen
      Jackson and whether or not the "official" copy transmitted from
      Army HQ (Lee's HQ) ever reached General Hill.

      I do know Joe Harsh spends some time discussing this in TATF,
      however, therein lies a mystery here, of several possible facets
      (as at least per the discussion):

      1. Did General Hill actually receive the "official" copy and was
      it properly receipted for to be transmitted back to Army HQ?
      2. If a receipt was recd. at Lee's HQ of transmittal of the order
      to General Hill, where would such receipt have been filed?
      3. Is it possible that, since Hill already had a copy sent him by
      his brother in law, T J Jackson, when the "official" copy
      arrives, the comment is basically, "Oh, we already have a copy"
      & the "official" copy is receipted for and then destroyed by Hill
      or one of his staff?
      4. As per the copy of SO191 found, rather conveniently it might
      appear, wrapped around three cigars by Sgt Bloss of the 27th
      Indiana and then sent up the chain of command to where it reaches
      McClellan, and Mac says basically, "Here I have all the plans of
      the Rebels and if I can not whip Bobby Lee, I might as well go
      home"... does anyone know what happens to the copy which Mac
      receives?

      Thank y'all for your enlightenment.