      From: "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 10:19 AM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Murfin and description of Sunken
      Road fight

      Gerry,

      Carman (Pierro p. 294) states:

      "The Confederate line went back from the sunken road in some
      confusion, and when Caldwell followed into the corn
      the confusion was increased and disorder reigned supreme. Brigade
      and regimental commanders undertook to rally their
      broken commands but found it impossible to do so, and the greater
      part of Hill's and Anderson's Divisions fell back to the
      Piper buildings and under cover of the ridge running from the
      barn to the Hagerstown
      Road; some were rallied behind
      the stone fences of the road, and all this at the time Longstreet
      was counting on their holding the sunken road and cooperating
      in the attack upon Kimball's flank by a united movement on
      Richardson's front and flank. Cooke and Cobb had
      moved promptly and been repulsed, but when the time came for the
      assistance of Hill's and Anderson's Divisions they had
      been driven from the sunken road and were in disorder. After
      great effort parts of each division were rallied and charged
      northeast through the orchard and corn to attack Richardson's
      left, Miller's Battery (with a small infantry support) being
      left in the orchard to hold the right and center in check. It is
      impossible to say with any degree of certainty how the brigades
      were formed in line. There is a general agreement that regiments
      and brigades were intermingled one with another and
      considerably disorganized and demoralized by the loss of an
      unusually large number of officers and many of the men. In a
      general sense D. H. Hill's Division was on the left, but when the
      charge had reached its limit some of his men were on the
      extreme right of R. H. Anderson's."

      Armstrong on p. 238, map 24, 12:15 PM, shows four Rebel regiments
      from left to right: 12 AL, 5 FL, 9 AL, and 4 NC. He discusses
      mainly Union activities not much about Confederate.

      CC map for Noon to 12:15 PM is less definitive than Armstrong's;
      the two regiments on either side of Miller's battery facing the
      Union advance are not labeled. Margin notes on the CC map for 1
      PM echo Carman: "At 1 P.M., Anderson's and D.H. Hill's divisions
      had lost all organization, regiments and brigades being broken up
      and intermingled and in positions along the stone fences of the
      Hagerstown road and behind the ridge running from the road to and
      beyond Piper's barn; G.T. Anderson's brigade only preserved its
      organization."

      Larry F.

      > Dear Dean,
      >
      > No, I do not have "Unfurl Those Colors". What does Vince
      > Armstrong mention about French's attack and any possible
      > secondary line in the Piper fields of Confederates?
      >
      > Murfin originally published his book in 1965.

      > from

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic