5730Re: CC Map Question

    May 24, 2009

      I also am interested in the changes as well as a set of the 1908 maps. The best for them would be full size on sturdy, laminated paper, obviously clearly printed in non fading ink as discussed below.

      If you think this is possible, you could PM me with an estimated cost just in case I don't win the lottery.

      TR, it would be interesting to see the 3rd PR book's map.

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> wrote:

      > Tom,
      >
      > I'd be interested in the list of changes.
      >
      > T.R. Livesey
      > tlivesey@...
      >

      > On Sun 05/24/09 5:11 PM , "Thomas Clemens" clemenst@... sent:
      > > Somewhere in the papers from Carman I found a listing of the changes.
      > > Will see if I can find it for you. We have 8 x10 color negatives of
      > > the1908 maps. Maybe I should look into printing them poster-size?
      > >
      > > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
      > > Professor of History
      > > Hagerstown Community College

      > > I have never had access to a 1908 version to compare. My guess is that
      > > the
      > > differences between the 2 are minor. A hint of possible changes can be
      > > extracted
      > > from 1906 correspondence from Carman reprinted in the commemorative
      > > volume of the
      > > Pennsylvania Reserves (pp 95-8). There is a dispute between the
      > > AntietamBattlefield Commission of Pennsylvania and Carman about the proposed
      > > placement of
      > > the monuments for the 8th, 7th, 4th, and 3rd PR: they want the order to
      > > be 8th
      > > 7th 4th and 3rd, whereas Carman's map shows 8th 3rd 4th 7th. After
      > > making his
      > > case, Carman laments : ”It is unfortunate that this matter was
      > > notdiscussed
      > > earlier. My atlas has been published two years, and a copy sent to each
      > > regimental organization with the request that any apparent errors might
      > > be
      > > reported, but not a criticism has been made of any position of the
      > > FirstCorps,
      > > and but one or two trifling ones in other corps.” I don't know if
      > > the1908
      > > edition was altered to reflect the commission's version. The monuments
      > > were
      > > placed as per Carman's recommendation. Whatever the case, as late as
      > > 1906, Carman
      > > was unaware of 'non-trifling' discrepancies of the 1904 version.
      > >
      > > BTW, the fold-out map that accompanies the PR volume is a real gem: a
      > > beautiful
      > > depiction of the battlefield at the turn of the century (before the
      > > various
      > > bypasses were built) in color and wonderful topographical detail (20 ft
      > > interval
      > > contour lines). One of the nicest maps out there.
      > >
      > > T.R. Livesey
      > > tlivesey@...

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic