5728Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: CC Map Question

    May 24, 2009
      Somewhere in the papers from Carman I found a listing of the changes.
      Will see if I can find it for you. We have 8 x10 color negatives of the
      1908 maps. Maybe I should look into printing them poster-size?

      >>> T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> 05/24/09 3:08 PM >>>
      Larry,

      I have never had access to a 1908 version to compare. My guess is that
      the
      differences between the 2 are minor. A hint of possible changes can be
      extracted
      from 1906 correspondence from Carman reprinted in the commemorative
      volume of the
      Pennsylvania Reserves (pp 95-8). There is a dispute between the Antietam
      Battlefield Commission of Pennsylvania and Carman about the proposed
      placement of
      the monuments for the 8th, 7th, 4th, and 3rd PR: they want the order to
      be 8th
      7th 4th and 3rd, whereas Carman's map shows 8th 3rd 4th 7th. After
      making his
      case, Carman laments : ”It is unfortunate that this matter was not
      discussed
      earlier. My atlas has been published two years, and a copy sent to each
      regimental organization with the request that any apparent errors might
      be
      reported, but not a criticism has been made of any position of the First
      Corps,
      and but one or two trifling ones in other corps.” I don't know if the
      1908
      edition was altered to reflect the commission's version. The monuments
      were
      placed as per Carman's recommendation. Whatever the case, as late as
      1906, Carman
      was unaware of 'non-trifling' discrepancies of the 1904 version.

      BTW, the fold-out map that accompanies the PR volume is a real gem: a
      beautiful
      depiction of the battlefield at the turn of the century (before the
      various
      bypasses were built) in color and wonderful topographical detail (20 ft
      interval
      contour lines). One of the nicest maps out there.

      T.R. Livesey
      tlivesey@...

      On Sun 05/24/09 12:51 PM , "eighth_conn_inf" eighth_conn_inf@...
      sent:
      > TR,
      >
      > I looked at some of your flybys and they are interesting; thanks for
      > sharing them. I will be instructive to see what Stephen comes up with
      for
      > Virtual Antietam.
      > I've never heard that anyone owns the 1908 CC version let alone
      listing the
      > differences between the two. Maybe Tom Clemens who is writing about
      Carman
      > may have that version copied or at least talk about the differences. I
      > recall someone--Jake Pierro--mentioned that the LOC has both 1904 and
      1908
      > versions but only has the 1904 on its website.
      > Someday someone may have a good printing done of the the 1908 version
      and
      > maybe even some done of some of the original prints of the OR maps but
      my
      > guess is neither is likely to happen unless CWPT or some wealthy CW
      fan
      > ponies up the required funds since neither will be best sellers.
      > Larry

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic