5715Re: CC Map Question

    May 9, 2009
      T.R. and Dave,

      The large printed maps do seem to muddy some details and the colors aren't as good; they are just not as clear as the screen version. Apparently it is not so easy to get crisp printing on such a large map. I bought one of the park's laminated ones and two from the Florida printer. The Florida prints seem to have faded a little.

      T.R.--you have the 1904 version? Are the details as clear as they appear on the computer screen? I'm guessing that finding original copies of either the 04 or 08 maps is difficult; I've not seen any advertised anywhere.Do you laminate your smaller prints to take to the field?

      Contour lines as on the CC maps are a must for me, too. Now if someone would program the maps so one could "fly in" to get an overhead like you can on Google Earth and also get a street view that would be great.

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> wrote:

      > I found my copy of the viewer that I downloaded several years ago. I couldn't find it on their website. The CC maps are great, but they are too big to be used as a whole. I have an actual original edition, and its really too big even when you open it up on a big table. You end up having to lean over it and my back and neck get sore. Much better to zoom into an area of interest and make a print out of that that is a more manageable size. They blow up really well. I have a color printer that does 11x17 and I have made very nice copies with it.
      >
      > Any map that does not have topo lines or some other means of indicating elevation is useless, unless you just want to frame it and hang it on a wall. For that reason alone the CC maps can't be beat.
      >
      > T.R. Livesey
      > tlivesey@...
      >
      > On Fri 05/ 8/09 8:10 PM , Dave Mc gewehr@... sent:
      > > T.R. and Larry,
      > > Yep, the first part of the answer is a usable format, and T.R. is
      > > correct, the web browser plug in does offer saving a .sid file into a
      > > .jpg or tiff. I didn't know about the plug in, all I've ever used is
      > > the stand alone viewer. Thanks for that tip. I'll let you know how
      > > this all comes out.
      > >
      > > Dave
      > >
      > > T.R.Livesey wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Have you downloaded the mrsid browser plug-in? I
      > > can't quite > remember...I don't
      > > > use windows anymore. At one point I used the
      > > plug in to view sid CC > files I
      > > > downloaded from the LOC. They also had a viewer
      > > application that I > downloaded.
      > > > One or both of these allowed zooming into an
      > > area of interest and then > saving
      > > > that portion as a tiff or a jpg. Once you have
      > > the tiff or jpg you can > take it
      > > > anywhere to print.
      > > >
      > > > T.R. Livesey
      > > > tlivesey@...
      > > >
      > > > On Fri 05/ 8/09 4:55 PM , Dave gewehr@ci
      > > nci.rr.com >
      > > sent:> > Larry, I haven't had any luck with the
      > > maps. Still looking for a> > solution.

      > > of the CC> > maps?>
      > > the maps> > are not restricted.>

      > > TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      > > luck> > taking the CC maps in MrSid> > format
      > > to somewhere like Kinkos and > getting
      > > printed out? I assume they are legal> > to print, please correct me> > if I'm
      > > wrong.> > > >

      > > > (Yahoo! ID required)> >
      > > > TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com >
      > > email to:> > TalkAntietam-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com >