5651Re: 14th Brooklyn-84th NY Infantry v. Rebel Cavalry

    Apr 1, 2009

      Thanks; I read about the Reb cav actions late on the 16th but did not find that any large mounted actions took place that day on the northern part of the field or anywhere else. It is clearly possible that the USSS experience was greatly embellished so Waud could come up with something interesting to draw.

      I just ordered a CD of the regimental history (hard copy too expensive); maybe that will have something but I still believe Waud used a lot of artistic license on that sketch and, for me, throws a bad light on the rest of his CW art. Still, I found several very usable ones to include with this one.