5647Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: 14th Brooklyn-84th NY Infantry v. Rebel Cavalry

    Mar 30, 2009
      And Phelps wrote a complete AAR which does not mention it. Nor does he mention it in his letters to his wife, his diary of his scrapbook. Nor does Carman mention it, and that is significant. I doubt it happened, and think Waud made it up. Will let you know if reading other letters provide contrary information.

      >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 03/30/09 1:11 PM >>>
      I didn't see that the CC maps showed this and I haven't found any source showing that this regiment was engaged with cavalry on the 17th and I don't think it happened on the 16th either.

      I thought the regimental history might say something if in fact there was a fight with 300 Rebel troopers at Antietam. After thinking about all the engagements of Union troops against Rebel troopers during the Maryland Campaign, none come to mind where one Union infantry regiment fought with 300 mounted Conf troopers in the woods as the sketch shows. I'm beginning to think that Waud made it up as a composite or an exageration of what he saw.

      Gerry--I did find the 84th NY in Fox where its 100 men (27 casualties)fought under Maj. DeBevoise but no info about the cav skirmish. It was in Phelps brigade.