5620Re: National Cemetery Grave Markers

  • Adam Zimmerli
    Mar 23, 2009
      Stephen,

      I went to Snell's Antietam Cemetery and Battlefield Administrative History, and it was conspicuously absent from any reference to the laying of headstones at Antietam. Ernst doesn't talk about it either. The only source that I was able to find (other than your Stotlemeyer reference) was an article from the 1950s by Edward Steere that states that headstones were authorized by congress for National Cemeteries that were added to federal authority after 1873. But, since the Antietam Board dallied until 1877 before the deed to the cemetery was finally given to the War department, I wonder if Stotelmeyer is correct?

      I'm living in Germany right now, and most of my Antietam books are stateside in a large storage unit, so I don't have my copy of Bivouacs of the Dead with me. If you could indulge me, what is his reference? According to Snell, Biggs had already requested $18,000 for 6,000 headstones and inscriptions by December of 1865. I imagine that it took a while to raise the money, especially given the reluctance on the part of numerous Union states in handing over funds that they pledged, but is it possible that they were ahead of the game?

      I seem to remember a photo from the 1870s in Adelman and Smith's Antietam: Then and Now that was taken by Tipton in either 1873 or 1877. Or, maybe it was Frassanito's book. I forget. Either way, if it was from 1873 then there should still be some visible evidence of disturbed ground from erecting the headstones, right?

      Just a few thoughts.

      Adam