5605Stuart's Adventures on Lee's Left Flank

    Mar 21, 2009
      Tom,

      Looking closely at the CC maps for 3:30-3:45 PM and 4:20 PM, Stuart and his artillery formed on the Landing Rd (river road) and headed east on a farm road towards the Coffman Farm Rd. They did not use the modern Mondell Rd nor the modern Taylor's Landing Rd. This assumes the CC maps are correct. I wonder if the 1908 version of the maps show the same locations for the troops?

      Bottom line: on both the 16th and 17th, Stuart and Blackford never moved north of what I call the "Mercersville Bend" even though CC maps don't show Union troops due north of that point. Of course the CC maps don't show anything NW of Mercersville. Therefore, Stuart could not have found other roads leading north to Hagerstown since he did not get further north than New Industry.

      Maybe the tour this Sunday (3/22) which includes Nicodemus Heights will talk about this. Have you uncovered anything more on this?