5602Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: queston about parallel routes to HagerstownTurnpike north from Sharpsburg

    Mar 18, 2009
      OK, that was what I remembered. If they went to New Industry couldn't they confirm the river road was a viable route northard?
      Yes, one of these days.

      >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 03/18/09 1:47 PM >>>
      Tom

      I hope you find some great material there for your book! Are you
      finding sources which show from whom he obtained info? Can you share
      any tidbits--perhaps when you return?

      Here is what I wrote for the G. Squirrel Church event which occurred
      late on the 16th and early on the 17th for my Antietam cav chapter;
      it is from Carman:

      "The Seventh Virginia Cavalry which Stuart detached from Munford to
      accompany Jackson on 10 September returned and made its way along
      the Potomac and then dismounted and walked to a point on the
      Hagerstown Turnpike just north of the Ground Squirrel Church and set
      up their line. Neither they nor the Third Pennsylvania Cavalry knew
      that they were 600 yards apart on the turnpike and Doubleday did not
      know that the Rebel troopers were less than a half-mile north of his
      division. The Seventh Virginia remained there until early morning
      and after discovering its vulnerable position, retreated southwest
      to New Industry on the Potomac until afternoon when it joined
      Munford a mile south of Sharpsburg at the Blackford House."

      If Stuart never made it to Rt 83 let alone Rt 85, Lee never got good
      info on routes north to Hagerstown from Sharpsburg.