5584Re: Antietam photographers

  • msjillm53
    Mar 15 7:49 AM

      > I've come across two gentlemen that both took photos around Sharpsburg
      > circa 1890:
      >
      > Millard F. Smith b. 26 Nov 1852 d. 12 Nov. 1925
      > Erasmus M. Garrott, M.D. b. 1 Jan 1865 d. 6 Nov 1929
      >
      > Interestingly, they are buried rather close to each other (and O.T.
      > Reilly) in Mountain View Cemetery, Sharpsburg.
      >
      > Anyone know anything about these two? Thanks.
      >
      > Stephen

      The name Erasmus Garrott is vaguely familiar in connection with a work-related paper I did a few years ago about smallpox. I went through my notes and found the following, an obituary published in the June 18, 1898, edition of the publication Naval and Military Medical Services:

      "Dr. Erasmus Garrott, Chief Medical Inspector, Department of Health, City of Chicago, whose death was announced in a recent issue of the BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, was born at Knoxville, Frederick Co., Maryland, in 1836. He graduated at the Medical Department of the University of Maryland in 1856, was an interne in the hospital at Baltimore for a year, and was afterwards in country practice for three years in West Virginia. In 1860 he engaged in practice in the mining town of Central City, Gilpin Co., Colorado. Settling in Chicago in 1873, he at once became connected with public sanitary work during the rebuilding of the city after the great fire of 1871. At this time a great responsibility fell upon the medical profession, because of the increased illness in the city from lack of proper food and shelter. Dr. Garrott was appointed Medical Inspector in 1890, serving the city faithfully more than twenty-one years. Dr. Garrott was wholly wrapped up in his public work, and he was so devoted to duty that he forgot how to take relaxation. He was an acknowledged authority on small-pox, which he fought with unceasing activity. he used to say that the only recognition of his labours he wished to have placed on his tombstone was the legend, 'He Vaccinated.'"

      Not "your" Erasmus Garrott, obviously. I didn't do any follow-up on this Dr. Garrott, but "your" Dr. Garrott is undoubtedly related.

      Jill Mitchell
      Harpers Ferry, WV
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic