5570Re: While we're talking about gaps and roads...

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Mar 5, 2009

      Reno Monument Road is the Old Sharpsburg Road.

      Larry and Tom,

      The two maps have labeled dates of 14 September 1862, but I think that were drawn after that. There is a note that the maps were "photographed by L. E. Walden of the Treasury Department." They are from RG 77, F91-1 and 91-3. The maps show troop positions at two different times during the battle. The maps are approximately 23 by 28 inches. The maps cover "White Rocks" to "Monument Hill" (south to north) and "Burnt Bridge" at Catoctin Creek to "Boonsborough" in the northwest corner and to the "Road to Rohrersville" in the south west corner (east to west).

      I also have a very small map showing the gaps (without names) in the South Mountain range that was in RG 200, Paine, A-7-11. It does list Federal division commander's names.

      I also have the full-size, uncolored reproduction of the 1858 Frederick County map. The "OR" maps are much more detailed when it comes to the roads. I do have photocopies of an1873 Frederick County map and an earlier, not very detailed map of the area.

      I believe that there was a road that ran from the Mountain House to Frostown (possibly the Dalgren Road today), but that the Old Hagerstown Road left Frostown and continued north and northwest over South Mouton and rejoined the National Road at Zittlesville.

      Bill Christen